Friday, May 31, 2013

Anime nerd meet Fashion nerd

High Fashion: Bleach
Evening dress collection inspired by characters from Bleach.
Watercolor, color pencil and ink.

When I went to fashion school I didn't really fit in anywhere.  I loved illustration and actually making clothes: material buying, sewing, handwork, the whole bit.  But I sucked at pattern grading, terminology and complying with industry standards.  Creativity was utterly stifled.  My business classes were a joke.  All that for a ridiculous tuition.

But that year I attended the university's anime club.  For $5 a month you could sit in on weekly 3 hour screenings of fansubbed anime projected on a big screen in one of the auditoriums.   And that's the first time I saw Bleach. (2005)  When the first season's punchy, stylish, kinetic opening set to Asterisk's "Orange Range" hit my ears and eyes, I was hooked.  I promptly went to the nearest bookstore and bought the first 4 volumes of manga (luckily for me, manga sections in big book stores were beginning to explode at around that time).  I went back for more each week until I was caught up.
That was also the same year I got into Death Note.  Other big names come and go but none of them quite hit all the notes for me like Bleach does, especially when clothing is used within the story to express concepts, character development and ideas.

Eight years later, Bleach still inspires me when fashion doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment